Sunday, March 31, 2013

Do Not Enter Law School



Piles of books to read, tons of cases to digest, battery of essay to write -- these are but just some of the many things a law student is expected to do. Some may feel that these things are rather difficult but others may not. Personally, I do not know what to feel. I am floating in a purgatoric realm where I am quite not sure whether I would even ascend to begin with.

The first few months in law school already taught me three things.

Firstly, “Nothing comes easy” because to get through anything in law school, one must toil hard for it, which isn’t even an assurance still since even those who already worked hard sometimes fail too, all the more those who didn’t strive at all.

Secondly, “Excellence is not an act but a habit” because the key to ace anything in law school whether it be recitations or examinations is consistently reading and studying. Once you cease doing these regularly, you pile up the pages you need to flick through and when you do, you make it a lot more difficult or maybe even impossible to do.

Thirdly, and I guess this is the most substantial to me of all three, “If you really don’t want to be a lawyer, DO NOT ENTER LAW SCHOOL”. Save yourself from all the sleepless nights, from the inevitable emotional and psychological unrest before, during and even after examinations, from the cold sweats and inexorable mental anguish during recitations, from the humiliations hewed by terror professors (good thing we don’t have any in 1A), and from all other day to day stress silently being endured individually while enrolled.

No one ever said it would be easy, they only said it would be worth it. I have only been here for a few months and the future is still uncertain but so long as I keep my head in the game and cling to the idea that this is what I really want, amidst all the hardships and future endeavors that are yet to come, I will stay and strive for excellence.Those who succeed are not really the strongest or the fastest, but whose hearts say that WITH GOD, ANYTHING WILL BE POSSIBLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment